Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

4 Government Benefits for Parents with Growing Children

Having children is expensive. When you add up the costs of housing, food, medical care, transportation, clothing and other necessities, it amounts to a great deal of your income. In order to off-set the costs of having a child, state and federal governments offer a variety of rebate and safety net programs. These four programs may help your family to thrive.

Women, Infants, and Children Nutritional Program

The women, infants and children (WIC) nutritional program is based on income. If you qualify, you can get free nutritious food at your grocery store of choice. The program is for pregnant or breastfeeding women, infants and children under the age of three. Some of the foods include whole-grain bread, legumes, eggs, cheese and peanut butter.

Childcare Rebates

Childcare rebates are designed to help working parents with the cost of childcare. These programs offer tax rebates to offset the federal income tax paid by working parents. Some companies, like Abracadabra Brighton Domestic Agencies Pty Ltd, know how helpful these rebates can be for growing families. In some cases for middle-class parents, you can have a child care savings account taken out of your paycheck pre-tax. When you pay your childcare provider, you submit the receipt and get reimbursed. This means you do not pay any taxes on the income you earned that went to pay for childcare.

Children’s Health Insurance Program

The Children’s Health Insurance Program is funded through block grants to each state. Every state administers the program slightly differently. The program is designed to provide low-cost health insurance to children whose parents do not qualify for health insurance through their jobs. This safety net program allows your child to have preventive, emergency and routine health services as needed.

529 College Savings Accounts

Parents can start setting money aside for a child’s future education with a 529 college savings fund. These funds are administered by state governments. Each year, you can set aside up to $2,000 tax-free dollars for each child. The funds will be used for college tuition, room and board, books and fees. You can use the funds for community and vocational colleges, too. Your child does not have to attend an in-state school to use the funds.

These programs are designed to supplement or mitigate the costs of having a family. Most of them require you to apply or meet certain income eligibility guidelines. It is well worth the time to investigate these programs for your kids, because your family could save hundreds or even thousands of dollars each year by participating in these programs for growing children.

Tim Esterdahl

Tim Esterdahl is the editor of IFCS blog. He is a married father of three and enjoys golf in his spare time.
Tim Esterdahl

Find Us on Social Media

This message is only visible to admins.

Problem displaying Facebook posts.
Click to show error

Error: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Saturday, 09-Feb-19 10:16:27 PST. The current time is Tuesday, 10-Dec-19 15:33:59 PST.
Type: OAuthException
Subcode: 463
Solution: See here for how to solve this error

IFCS On Twitter

Thank you so much to @ChristianBros Highlands Ranch, Arapahoe Road, and Ken Caryl for helping our clients last weekend, they took care of so many ailing hearts and sick vehicles. Though the hope they gave, lives were changed. We so appreciate your support of IFCS year-round!

Sarah &Javon, Arapahoe Community College Dean of Students sharing excitement for the Food Bank. We visited last week to learn more about the school's programs for students in need and to explore opportunities for collaboration.

Thank you to Rotary Club of Highlands Ranch for their continuous support of our Hunger Alleviation Programs. We are proud to partner with them. Thank you for being a Gold Sponsor of the October 26th Boo-athon Halloween Bowling event.

Load More...

Key Sponsors

Our Affliations




Sign Up for our eNewsletter

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

USDA Non-Discrimination Policy

IFCS follows the USDA non-discrimination policy. Learn more by clicking here to read the statement. (PDF)