Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

5 Things Parents can do When their Child is Facing Juvenile Charges

5 Things Parents can do When their Child is Facing Juvenile ChargesWhen a child does something that leads to criminal charges, the juvenile court system will handle the matter. There are many questions that parents and teens have about the process. It’s a scary time that is filled with many emotions and uncertainty. Here are five things parents can do to be of assistance during this time.

1. Find out all the Facts

A child is often not eager to talk to their parents about what really happened. However, it’s important that the parent and child have a discussion on the specifics. Get all the facts and find out if anyone else was involved or is guilty in the matter. The last thing you want is to be blindsided in the courtroom.

2. Hire Legal Representation

An attorney can mean all the difference in a juvenile case. In many instances, a juvenile can be charged as an adult if the crime so warrants it. Having a lawyer like someone from Rosenthal & Wadas, PLLC., a group of Collin County criminal defense lawyers on your side can mean the difference between a trip to a juvenile detention center or a simple sentence of community service. Lawyers can tell you what to expect and know how to handle the court proceedings.

3. Be Supportive

When a teenager is in trouble, the parent often has mixed emotions. Sure, you want to ground them and lock them away from harm, but the other side of you is angry too. You need to be open and honest with them and let them know how angry and hurt you are. However, they are your child so you must also be supportive. Show up at every court hearing and stand by their side. It may not mean much to you, but it will mean the world to them.

4. Make Sure they go to Court

It is of the utmost importance that your child shows up to every court hearing they have. A no show can be considered contempt of court and has serious ramifications. If your child doesn’t drive, you will need to take them and make sure they have their day in court.

5. Enforce New Rules

If your child is hanging with the wrong crowd, you need to take charge of their life. Even if they are 16 years of age, you still have control for a couple more years. Children often go down the wrong paths because their parents are too busy with their lives and careers to notice what is going on. Spend extra time with them and make sure you are involved in most aspects of their life. Never leave a child to their own devices, no matter how tired you are.

Tim Esterdahl

Tim Esterdahl is the editor of IFCS blog. He is a married father of three and enjoys golf in his spare time.
Tim Esterdahl

Find Us on Social Media

Unable to display Facebook posts.
Show error

Error: (#4) Application request limit reached
Type: OAuthException
Code: 4
Please refer to our Error Message Reference.

IFCS On Twitter

We are grateful for the privilege to provide families with a true shopping experience at our Market. We thank our community supporters, churches, civic groups and The Emergency Food Assistance Program for helping us make this a reality.
#dogood #charity #colorado #food

Thank you Columbine United Church for collecting food from FIVE @KingSoopersNews locations! Our families in need really appreciate your support! #dogood #charity #colorado #littleton

Thank you Dry Creek Sertoma for donating children and adult clothing! These donations are essential to filling our clothing bank to help those in need. #dogood #charity #clothing #colorado

Load More...

Key Sponsors

Our Affliations




Sign Up for our eNewsletter

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

USDA Non-Discrimination Policy

IFCS follows the USDA non-discrimination policy. Learn more by clicking here to read the statement. (PDF)