Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

Car Crash: How to Recover from Your First Accident

A car accident can be a fairly traumatic and stressful event to deal with. You may be dealing with a severely damaged vehicle, the stress of having to take time off of work, recovering from painful injuries and more. Even a minor car accident can be stressful, and you may have recurring visions of the accident or a fear of getting behind the wheel again. If you have recently experienced your first car accident, walk through these steps to get your life back on track.

File a Claim as Soon as Possible

Filing a claim as soon as possible should be a top priority. Either your insurance company or the insurance company of the other person in the accident may pay for your vehicle repairs, any liability expenses that you may be responsible for, a rental car and more. Remember that liability insurance pays other parties for damages that you cause. If your expenses exceed the terms of coverage, you may have to pay the remaining costs out of your own personal funds.

Get Medical Attention as Needed

If you have serious injuries, you should tend to your injuries by seeking medical attention as soon as possible. This may be done through emergency services after the accident and before you file a claim. If injuries are significant, you may need a family member to file the claim on your behalf. Remember that some injuries may not be immediately noticed after an accident. If you notice any signs of an injury within a few days after the accident, you should obtain medical attention.

Document All Expenses

Documenting your expenses related to the accident is imperative. This will help you to determine if your insurance company is fully paying out on all claims. In some cases, this documentation will be used to obtain a favorable claim payout from the insurance company.

Consider Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

A personal injury lawyer from somewhere such as Speers Reuland & Cibulskis, P.C. may assist you in a few different ways. The lawyer may help you to seek justice when an insurance company will not pay out on a claim fairly. In addition, you may use legal services to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person who caused the accident.

Anytime you have an accident, your life may be turned upside down. However, when you are dealing with your first accident, you may be confused about the steps that you need to take to overcome this issue. Each situation is unique, but these tips may assist you in most cases.

Find Us on Social Media

Key Sponsors

Constant Contact Subscribe

Integrated Family Community Services is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Financial Accountability

IFCS’ Tax ID # 84-0579740