Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

How to Terminate an Ex’s Parental Rights

If you have a child with a former spouse or romantic partner, that person may have rights to see or contact the child. However, this is generally only true if this is the minor’s best interest. In some cases, it may be possible to terminate a former partner’s parental rights.

Rights Can Be Relinquished Voluntarily

A judge may allow a parent to voluntarily give up any rights to a child. These rights could include the ability to contact the child by phone or email or to see a son or daughter on a regular basis. Furthermore, these rights could include the ability to make medical, religious or educational decisions on the child’s behalf. An individual may agree to waive them in return for no longer having to pay child support or support the child in an emotional capacity.

Rights Can Be Terminated After a Violent Incident

Parents who engage in any type of abuse could be stripped of their parental rights either temporarily or permanently. This could be true whether the abuse was against you, the child or another person. It may be in your best interest to contact an attorney if you or your child is abused. Criminal defense attorneys may be able to get a restraining order or pursue a civil case. If a parent’s rights are terminated because of a criminal matter, that person may still be required to make child support payments.

Did the Other Parent Violate the Terms of a Custody Order?

A judge is unlikely to terminate a parent’s rights for minor transgressions such as returning a child a few minutes late on a Sunday night. However, if the other parent takes the child out of the country or commits other serious violations of a custody order, it may be the last time that person sees the child.

This is because an individual is likely showing a blatant disregard for a child’s best interest and a court order. In such a situation, you will need to file a motion with the court to either modify a custody order or end a parent’s involvement with the child.

Attempting to terminate a parent’s rights will have a significant impact on your relationship with that person. It will also have a significant impact on the relationship between you and your child. Therefore, it is important that you have a quality reason for requesting that your child no longer have a relationship with his or her mother or father.

Author Bio:
Anica Oaks is a freelance writer who hails from San Francisco. When she’s not writing, she’s enjoying her time outside with her dogs. Anica recommends criminal defense attorneys for your tricky divorce needs. Keep up with her on Twitter @anicaoaks

Tim Esterdahl

Find Us on Social Media

Pepsi just delivered Sierra Mist and Mountain Dew "Frost Bite" to cool off just as the weather's heating up! ☀️🥤 ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

Holy Cow! We've got Milk! Meadow Gold Dairies had a surplus to unload and called IFCS; we are so grateful. We're here Monday-Friday to feed Coloradans in need. Email if you're a food supplier or distributor and want to help! ... See MoreSee Less

View on Facebook

IFCS On Twitter

We are BLOWN AWAY by the quality of fresh fruit and fresh veggies we got from @FoodBankRockies today! Simply gorgeous. Call 303-789-0501 to get your box today.

Who remembers the IFCS Flood of 2017? Well, we had another pipe burst, but this time, staff was here to stop it from demolishing the building! We have some cleaning to do, but all food and goods are safe!

With more Americans filling for unemployment, remember IFCS is here. Our message is simple: if you need help, please contact us. If you can help others, please visit We will get through this together. #doingmypartco

Load More...

Key Sponsors

Our Affliations




Sign Up for our eNewsletter

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

USDA Non-Discrimination Policy

IFCS follows the USDA non-discrimination policy. Learn more by clicking here to read the statement. (PDF)