Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

What to Do if You Get Seriously Injured While You Have Small Children

A serious injury can derail anyone’s life, but it can be even worse when you have small children to consider. Your children depend on you for the most basic things, and being out of commission can make you feel like a failure as a parent even if it’s not your fault. Here are four things you can do to protect your children and give yourself peace of mind when facing a serious injury.

Rely on Friends and Family

Loved ones are great resources during tough times. If you have been seriously injured, consider asking your parents or a sibling to take in your children temporarily while you recover. You can also invite friends or family to stay in your home to help with the children and household duties. If you have older children, ask them to help out more while you’re recovering.

Hire Help

If you don’t want to impose on friends and family, consider hiring help to assist in your recovery and the running of the household. A live-in nanny can look after your children and prepare their meals, while a weekly visit from a maid service can keep your home clean and tidy. Your health insurance policy may cover a visiting nurse or home health aide to assist you with medical needs and personal care tasks.

Consult a Lawyer

Serious injuries are often the result of another person’s negligent behavior. If your accident was someone else’s fault, a lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve. Find a law firm, such as Oaks Law Firm, with a solid reputation for winning personal injury cases and schedule a consultation. It’s important to get your case started as soon as possible so you can recoup lost wages and expenses before they pile up.

Apply for Benefits

The financial toll of a serious injury is often more painful than the injury itself, especially when you have small children. If you’re having trouble keeping food on the table, don’t be afraid to apply for government assistance. You may be eligible for unemployment or temporary disability if your injury is keeping you out of work as well as food and healthcare assistance for your children.

Remember, the most important thing is keeping your family together. Your children still love you even if you can’t do all the things you used to do before you were injured. Try to spend as much quality time with them as possible, and don’t beat yourself up if you can’t do everything.

Tim Esterdahl

Tim Esterdahl is the editor of IFCS blog. He is a married father of three and enjoys golf in his spare time.
Tim Esterdahl

Find Us on Social Media

This message is only visible to admins.

Problem displaying Facebook posts.
Click to show error

Error: Error validating access token: Session has expired on Saturday, 09-Feb-19 10:16:27 PST. The current time is Thursday, 21-Nov-19 11:33:22 PST.
Type: OAuthException
Subcode: 463
Solution: See here for how to solve this error

IFCS On Twitter

Thank you so much to @ChristianBros Highlands Ranch, Arapahoe Road, and Ken Caryl for helping our clients last weekend, they took care of so many ailing hearts and sick vehicles. Though the hope they gave, lives were changed. We so appreciate your support of IFCS year-round!

Sarah &Javon, Arapahoe Community College Dean of Students sharing excitement for the Food Bank. We visited last week to learn more about the school's programs for students in need and to explore opportunities for collaboration.

Thank you to Rotary Club of Highlands Ranch for their continuous support of our Hunger Alleviation Programs. We are proud to partner with them. Thank you for being a Gold Sponsor of the October 26th Boo-athon Halloween Bowling event.

Load More...

Key Sponsors

Our Affliations




Sign Up for our eNewsletter

Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

USDA Non-Discrimination Policy

IFCS follows the USDA non-discrimination policy. Learn more by clicking here to read the statement. (PDF)