Integrated Family Community Services 3370 South Irving Street, Englewood, CO 80110-1816 Ph: 303-789-0501

What to Do When Your Teenage Son is Experiencing Male-Pattern Baldness

Male Pattern BaldnessHair loss is one thing that many people do experience, but often later on in life. However, male-pattern baldness can set in as early as teen years in many young men. This can have a serious effect on your son’s self esteem. However, there are ways to help. Consider the following strategies if your child is experiencing teenage hair loss.

Determine the Cause

Minor hair loss is natural for anyone, as 10% of hairs on the human head are in a constant state of rest while the other 90% are still growing. At the end of this cycle, hair begins to shed. While the loss of 50 – 100 hairs daily is average, anything significantly higher can be cause for alarm.

The most common cause of hair loss in men is androgenetic alopecia or male-pattern baldness. Many teenagers and 20-year-olds start showing signs of androgenetic alopecia as a result of genetics and hormones. Another cause for hair loss may be alopecia areata. Affecting 1.7% of the population, this is a condition where the body’s immune system attacks its hair follicles. While this is rare, it may result in more extreme hair loss that can be concerning to many. Consulting with a doctor, particularly a dermatologist, can do a great deal to help set everyone’s minds at ease and even help you find a course of treatment.

Share Coping Mechanisms

While the loss of hair at such a young age can seem particularly devastating, parents should work with their sons to show them how to maintain their self-esteem. In many cases, a teenage boy can work with a stylist to find a particular haircut or grooming routine that will help hide any hair loss. Others may find ways to embrace their appearance rather than trying to hide it. Doing so can do a great deal to reduce the feelings of shame that many experience in these cases. Confidence and self-acceptance are two of the most important factors in maintaining a good image among peers, and this should be emphasized with your son.

Discuss Treatment

In addition to suggesting new hairstyles, parents should discuss the option of treatment with their sons. Even if the hair loss is minimal, certain steps can reverse the process, and taking steps to seek medical treatment will help to ensure that the son regains a full head of hair. With treatments from companies like Prp Hair Therapy Services and other local hair clinics, teenagers experiencing hair loss can stop this loss in its tracks and even reverse the damage. While your son should be encouraged to avoid feelings of shame or avoidance in relation to their hair loss, it can be very beneficial to treat the problem, as well.

Reduce Stress

Many times, hair loss can be caused by excessive stress. As teenagers today have plenty of stress to cause significant hair loss, it’s important to take note of these signs, especially when there isn’t a history of male baldness in the family. Talk to your son’s teachers about how their workload can be eased, and find ways to help them find quiet time at home that doesn’t involve school or screens. Even just a small nap can do a great deal to allow the body to recenter itself. Speak with your son, as well, and see if they can identify causes of stress in their life that may be contributing to their hair loss. While hair loss is nothing to be ashamed of, it can sometimes indicate more serious problems that shouldn’t be ignored.

By working together with finding treatment, trying new styling options, and reducing contributing stress, parents will be able to help their children move past the initial embarrassment of hair loss and look towards to the future. Hair loss is treatable and everyone, old or young, and should be approached with the same care and sensitivity as any other medical condition.

Find Us on Social Media

Key Sponsors

Constant Contact Subscribe

Integrated Family Community Services is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.

Financial Accountability

IFCS’ Tax ID # 84-0579740